Dark Devotion developer Hibernian Workshop will launch the Kickstarter campaign for 2D platformer rogeulite fantasy adventure game Astral Ascent on March 29, the studio announced. It is planned for release on PlayStation, Switch, and PC via Steam.
Hibernian Workshop also released an announcement trailer teasing the game’s world, combat, and bosses, as well as announced that a free demo will be available in the coming weeks.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Astral Ascent is a 2D platformer rogue-lite set in a modern fantasy world. As one of four Heroes with very different personalities, you must escape from the Garden, an astral prison guarded by 12 powerful and vicious bosses, the Zodiacs.
- Fight You Way – Unlock dozens of unique spells for your four distinct characters. Optimize your own build or try out a new one to take down 12 powerful bosses. Get stronger with time to match up with your foes. Each run will test your skills and your reactivity.
- Don’t Go Alone – The weight of destiny is too heavy to carry by yourself? Don’t worry and bring a friend to play in our two player co-op mode. Fight and crush your enemies together in local co-op or online using the Steam’s Remote Play Together feature.
- An Astral Threat – The Zodiacs are 12 experienced guardians dispatched over four gorgeous worlds. They’ll bring to the battlefield unique attacks, abilities, and patterns, backstories to uncover, and reasons to be fighting you. Get yourself warned!
- Narration Through Replayability – Astral Ascent is a rogue-lite infused with narration. Replayability is part of our story which will be unraveled piece of piece. As you get stronger, you will discover more about the characters, their motivations, and the secrets of the world they’re trapped in.
- A Beautiful Modern Fantasy World – Dash across gigantic landscapes. Explore original and hand-crafted areas. Discover the world created by our artists, with a gorgeous art and frame-by-frame animation.
- Four Playable Characters – Unique characters. Unique weapons. Unique ways to play.
- Ayla – The sole survivor of her guild of assassins, she uses her twin daggers to eliminate her enemies before they can react. Her speed and proficiency are unmatched.
- Kiran – This orphan learned life the hard way. He uses his strength to deliver attacks powerful enough to create shockwaves. Brutal.
- Calie – This talented sculptor wants her freedom back. She will use her magical gemstones to pierce enemy defenses and shred them to bits. She is unforgiving.
- Octave – Trained by a powerful witch, this young fighter summons ethereal guns to attack his foes. When needed, he can conjure bigger weapons as well. Lethal in all cases.
- A Coalition for Hope – You can count on faithful allies to help you find your way out
- The Merchant – This mysterious figure has the power to unveil your true potential through remembering forgotten skills. Careful… it won’t be free.
- Zim-Zim – Her greenhouse hides magical plants which can increase your abilities. If you can bear her whimsical and frankly immature behavior.
- Oloon – The best stylist in the known universe is right here and available. Want to change the color of your clothes? Dye your hair? She has everything you need!
- Papa Yalee – This old cat—he is almost 20!—will always have a good story about the foes you’ll encounter and your runs. The good news is that… most of them are true.
- Sova – Once a powerful sorceress, Sova was cursed and must now serve the Garden. Her past is a burden of shame she carries in silence.
- Ordan – De facto leader of the Garden, this fierce warrior helps the Heroes in their quest. Her might is legendary.
- Ikki – Ordan’s ex-husband and a powerful warrior on his own, he is in charge of training Heroes. His knowledge of the art of war is endless.
Watch a new trailer below.