It is April 1 in some parts of the world, meaning the games industry jokes and gags have begun.
Find our annual roundup of games-related jokes below. The list will be updated as new jokes arrive, so be sure to check back every so often.
Added 04/01/21 at 8:20 p.m.:
- Fate/Grand Order U.S.A. – Take aim and protect Female Protagonist from incoming danger in FGO Shooter 2021!
— Fate/Grand Order USA (@FateGO_USA) April 1, 2021
- Grimorio of Games – Turn your foes into your dance crew in Sword of the NecroDancer: Crypt of the NecroDancer feat. Sword of the Necromancer.
- Idea Factory International – Announcing IFI: LOVE (If I Love). “Can you build a relationship strong enough to create the next big game? What mysteries are behind your coworkers’ alter egos? And can a work mate truly become…a soul mate? An adventure full of danger, intrigue, and romance awaits!”
- Rivals of Aether – Rivals Direct returns for part three.
Added 04/01/21 at 1:15 p.m.
- ebi-hime – A battle royale game set in the ebi-hime universe is currently in development.
I'm proud to announce that I'm working on a battle royale game set in the extended ebi-hime universe! Play as any number of cute anime girls from my most popular VNs, and go for that number one victory royale! ✨ pic.twitter.com/Vy6hoNdPuc
— ebihimes (@ebihimes) April 1, 2021
- Fortnite – Diamond Hanz is ready to answer the call.
The 🔔 has been rung and Diamond Hanz is ready to answer the call.
Buy! Hold! Win! pic.twitter.com/bmP1czr326
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) April 1, 2021
- G Fuel – Announcing the G Fuel “Sanic Chili Dogs” flavor. Visit the official website here.
🌀GIVEAWAY + WAITLIST🌀
💙 Quote RT with the hashtag #GFUELSanic to win a bundle!
— G FOOL® (@GFuelEnergy) April 1, 2021
- Warframe – “Upgrade your IRL look with #FashionFace.”
- WayForward – Announcing Are We Soulmates Or Am I Just Being Way Forward
Finally, the WayForward crossover extravaganza you’ve been waiting for is on its way! At last, characters from Mighty Switch Force!, Vitamin Connection, Mighty Milky Way, Spidersaurs, Marble Knights, and more come together in the ultimate showdown… for your affection! That’s right: independent game studio WayForward is thrilled to announce Are We Soulmates Or Am I Just Being Way Forward!
This unbelievable take on the classic dating sim formula features six WayForward superstars to romance! Will you throw yourself into the small but open arms of Robot T-Rex? Or come around to the affections of Oblate? Maybe you’re into someone with a bit of a dark and dangerous side, like Hooligan Sister #4 or The Roach. Or perhaps the healthy physique of Vita-Boy—er, make that Vita-Man—is more your style. Even the legendary Lil’ Witchem: Bear Tamer is here to ensnare your emotions! Who will you choose as these gaming greats vie for your heart?! Only by navigating this labyrinth of love will you be able to defeat the forces of evil and live happily ever after!
“For years we’ve heard the demands,” remarked WayForward Tyrannical Overlord Voldi Way. “When will Lil’ Witchem get her own game? When will that great WayForward crossover happen? When will someone make a game that lets me date a cyborg T-Rex? With Are We Soulmates Or Am I Just Being Way Forward, we think we’ve finally answered all those questions, along with many more that you were probably too afraid to ask.”
In addition to cutting-edge, ultra-HD, 120MHz visuals that take advantage of ray-tracing, specular lighting, and interpolated mipmapping, Are We Soulmates Or Am I Just Being Way Forward is powered by WayForward’s groundbreaking Fully Optimized Omniscient Love Selector engine that reads your feelings and automatically translates them into meaningful on-screen gameplay choices. No more clunky menus to get in the way of true love!
Added 04/01/21 at 11:40 a.m.
- Bohemia Interactive – Announcing Tank On Tank Racing. “First, you took on helicopters. Then you took on Mars. Now get ready to enter a world where owning the right vehicle can mean the difference between the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.”
- Cyan – Announcing Myst Sayber. “Myst Sayber is a virtual reality rhythm game developed and published exclusively by Cyan. The game takes place in a polygonal neon environment and features the player slicing red and blue pages being thrown at them representing musical beats with a pair of contrasting colored pen ‘saybers.’ We want to emphasize: this is a completely original idea. No other game has created a red and blue colored beat slashing game before!”
- House Flipper – Bring your power level to over 9000 with this House Flipper free update!
- Minecraft – Introducing Minecraft Plus! “Don’t be alarmed if your computer screen gets a boxy make-over, your mobile device grows a cord, and your hair suddenly sprouts sweet, sweet frosted tips. You’re on a journey back in time with the all new, very old Minecraft Plus! Jump on the information superhighway to get your own (free!) Minecraft screen savers!”
Added 04/01/21 at 10:10 a.m.:
- Deathloop – Break the loop with Deathloops cereal, coming soon to a store near you.
Coming soon to a store near you 🥣 pic.twitter.com/aXRfCVk789
— DEATHLOOP (@deathloop) April 1, 2021
- FuturLab – Announcing GnoeWash Simulator.
- HandyGames – Gamer Salt coming soon, extracted from 100 percent pure gamer salt.
It's finally happening! Our official #HandyGames brand Gamer Salt is coming soon. Extracted from 100% pure gamer sweat and noob tears. Our promise to you: You've never been saltier.#SpiceUpYourGame #GamerSalt pic.twitter.com/yWr9ReDumW
— HandyGames (@handy_games) April 1, 2021
- IGN – “Zoom VOIP Teleconferencing are throwing our hat into the gaming ring with the world’s first-ever Player-versus-Player conversation game! Say what?! And say it fast, because the slightest interruption or errant “um” could get you eliminated. If you like Fall Guys, Among Us, or Fortnite, you’re going to love Zoom Royale! Turn your next Zoom call into a massive battle royale experience and take calls to the next level of FUN. Check out the trailer.”
- Limited Run Games – “Green Lava Studios Volume 1” featuring My Name is Mayo, Mr. Massagy, and My Name is Mayo 2 physical edition now available for pre-order at Limited Run Games. (This is real, but announced on April Fools’ Day.)
— Limited Run Games (@LimitedRunGames) April 1, 2021
- SMITE – “Wish you could see your favorite Gods on the go? Check out SMITE GO!, the newest AR mobile game where you can hang out with Agni, Yemoja, Thanatos, and more! ”
- Unreal Engine – Meet MetaPets, the next-generation of fur-ever friends from Unreal Engine.
Say hello to MetaPets 🐾 the next-generation of fur-ever friends from Unreal Engine.
Unleash your potential and see the pawsibilities 👇 pic.twitter.com/xmJ4PIkhQZ
— Unreal Engine (@UnrealEngine) April 1, 2021
Added 04/01/21 at 9:20 a.m.
- Control – “Starting today, you can play Control exclusively on the first PlayStation system. Here’s a short clip, courtesy of our principal gameplay designer, Tommi Saalasti, the driving force of this port. Hope you like it!”
- Gothic Remake – Enhance your adventure—Gothic Remake to feature in-game store.
Gothic has just turned 20 years old, and players around the world can’t wait to put their feet back into the Colony. As THQ Nordic and developer Alkimia Interactive promised, the development process for the upcoming Gothic Remake will be as transparent as possible. And therefore, the two companies are proud to present one of the exciting new features of the Gothic Remake: The G-Store.
After analyzing all the great RPGs out there, it became quite clear that players want to have a chance to enhance and customize their adventures. With the G-Store, Alkimia Interactive and THQ Nordic will offer vast options to do so. The store will feature new equipment for the hero – you can get the legendary weapons of Diego or all-new clothes to really stand out between all the other colonists. Also, the shop will offer a large amount of quality of life items, such as healing potions, XP-boosters or creature-type focused damage-enhancers, if you are struggling to slay a troll for example. Also, if the player has spent all their learning points or attribute points in a way that doesn’t please them anymore, a full respec is also available for a small fee.
And – for the very first time in the Gothic franchise—the G-Store will exclusively feature the most requested item-types ever: pets! If you ever felt a bit lonely while running through the wilderness, we have a solution: Get a pet! Be it a baby scavenger or a young troll, everyone will find a beloved companion.
Each transaction in the G-Store is done with G-Coins. These can either be purchased at a fixed rate as seen in the price list below or via viewing live streams of the game – for each hour watching the Gothic Remake in a stream, registered users will be rewarded with G-Coins. The exact offering of the in-game store depends on the community feedback and will be revealed closer to the game’s release.
G-Coins pricing overview:
- 2.500 G-Coins for $12.99 / €12.99
- 5.000 G-Coins for $24.99 / €24.99 (+500 Bonus G-Coins)
- 10.000 G-Coins for $59.99 / €59.99 (+1000 Bonus G-Coins)
- 20.000 G-Coins for $99.99 / €99.99 (best value and +2000 Bonus G-Coins)
“With the Gothic Remake, we do not simply want to make the old Gothic look shiny, we want to fully adopt the game and bring it up to 2021 standards (and probably beyond). We are all big fans of open-world RPGs in general and in almost all of them is a shop for the modern player: Hardworking in real life, earning a lot of money but having no time to spend it. For this kind of people, we offer THE perfect solution!“ says Reinhard Pollice, Studio Head at Alkimia Interactive & Business and Development Director at THQ Nordic, “we did a representative survey in our finance department and 100% of the people agreed, that this is a fantastic idea!“
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds – “On the latest episode of The Quarter Reporter, we go in search of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds‘ original inspiration, PlayerOmnom’s Battlegrounds. For Survivors looking to try a little bit of history, you’re in luck—PlayerOmnom’s Battlegrounds is currently playable through the PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds on PC for a limited time ONLY.”
- Schell Games – “From the studio that brought you Mission: It’s Complicated and Until You Fall, prepare to fall for the crossover event you never thought possible.” Introducing Mission: Fall For You.
Added 04/01/21 at 8:50 a.m.
- BENDY – Introducing BENDY: Ink Chronicles, the streaming series. “The stories of the Dark Puddles are many. Prepare yourself for the twisted tales.”
- Blasphemous – Introducing the “Screaming Sinners Mode” update. Your true penitence starts now…
- Bravely Default – Introducing the downloadable content “Tales of Aserisk Holder: Prisoner.” While the idea was to do a spin-off for Dag and Selene at first, the enemy ended up becoming the focus.
— ブレイブリーデフォルトII公式 (@BDFF_OFFICIAL) April 1, 2021
- DIRT – Introducing DiRTRally.txt for Notepad, Notepad++, Word, Excel, Wordpad, Pastebin, Discord, and Twitter. “In a world where high-end wheels, controllers and graphics cards are becoming increasingly scarce, we’re going back to basics. Pure rally, no distractions.”
- For Honor – Return to a simpler time, when recess was king, with the “Playground Edition” of For Honor. The Playground Edition is live now until April 2 at 5:30 p.m. CET.
- Little Nightmares – Introducing Little Nightmares II: Cooking Mono, where your goal is to satisfy a cafeteria full of bullies.
It’s chaos in the School kitchen! With the Lunch Lady unexpectedly absent, one brave boy must do the impossible: satisfy a cafeteria full of Bullies with treats or he’ll be the next ingredient in the pot!
— Little Nightmares II (@LittleNights) April 1, 2021
- Metro – “We are thrilled to announce another addition to our Metro Exodus Edition line up, the Metro Exodus Arachnophobe Edition.”
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 – Сut(ting) сontent…
- War Thunder – “The skies over Cape Somerset bay are restless again—opposing clans from the Republic of Air Pirates decided to find out who should be the master of the region of the magical Soaring Rocks. Become one of the dashing air corsairs in the epic battle between pirate squadrons! Prove your skills to the clan and get new, even more powerful aircraft!”
Added 04/01/21 at 3:10 a.m.
- GameXplain – Captain Toad’s Big Daddy Adventure announcement leaked.
- Medabots S – The Medabots and Digimon collaboration robots Omegaknight and Omedamon, illustrations of which were published on April Fools’ Day 2020, finally appear in the game after over a year and more than 10,000 retweets each. Greywars, themed after Wargreymon, and Garurumetal, themed after MetalGarurumon, also appear. The collaboration campaign will run until April 30 at 23:59 JST.
- Shenmue Dojo – Shenmue Mania announced by Sega and Ys Net.
A brand NEW Shenmue game titled 'Shenmue Mania' has just been announced by SEGA and YS Net.
Whilst it's not exactly Shenmue IV, we're still extremely excited to see any new Shenmue titles coming directly from SEGA.
Catch the announcement trailer below: pic.twitter.com/y2bL7OiKdc
— Shenmue Dojo (@Shenmue_Dojo) April 1, 2021
Added on 04/01/21 at 1:50 a.m.
- The Caligula Effect 2 – Official website updated with character page for Uma, a mysterious creature that appeared in the four-frame manga “Extreme Go-Home Club.” It has not appeared in The Caligula Effect or The Caligula Effect: Overdose, and will also not appear in The Caligula Effect 2.
- Date A Live – Announcing the start of the Date A Live: Girl’s Side project, where every character is voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki.
- Digimon – The cause of the mysterious Digimon Omedamon’s entry to the Digimon Encyclopedia has been identified as mixed data from the Digital World of another dimension, and is being addressed. View his encylopedia entry here (archive).
— デジモンウェブ公式 (@digimonweb_net) April 1, 2021
- Digital Crafter – Announcing Cross Battle: Crafter’s Ultimate Fight of Fights, featuring the characters of Fight of Gods and Fight of Animals in one game.
- Dusk Diver – Announcing Super Dusk Diver II: Gourmet Master Challenge.
- Fate/Grand Order Arcade – Servant Class Berserker: Paul Bunyan will be available to acquire as part of a limited time event ending May 13. Details are available at the official website.
『Fate/Grand Order Arcade』にて本日4月1日(木)AM10:00より開催中の期間限定イベント「ポール･バニヤン＆英霊異像獲得キャンペーン ～マンガで分かる！FGO Arcade～」より、「★1(C)ポール･バニヤン」をご紹介。詳しくは→https://t.co/7HHlYG3DXw #FGO #FGOAC pic.twitter.com/NfwkKFABPG
— 【公式】Fate/Grand Order Arcade (@FGOAC_project) April 1, 2021
- Krome Studios – TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 is getting the 3D remaster treatment for the first time.
- Medabots – Announcing details on the mysterious “DGM Type” Medabots Greywars and Garurumetal. Visit the official website here (archive).
— 【公式】メダロット社 (@medarotsha) April 1, 2021
- Shinobi Master Senran Kagura: New Link – Starting today, the title of the game has changed to “Kagura: The Space Pirate.” Interact with the girls and train them to become the strongest “space pirates.”
「シノビマスター 閃乱カグラ NEW LINK」は2021年4月1日よりゲームタイトルを「KAGURA THE SPACE PIRATE」に変更いたしました。
— 【公式】シノビマスター 閃乱カグラ NEW LINK (@kagura_shinomas) March 31, 2021
- SINoALICE – SINoALICE x ???. An urgent collaboration is about to begin. Check the game for more information.
- Taimanin RPG – For today only, enjoy a Taimanin side story and special minigame under the “Takosashi no Yaiba” banner.
— 【公式】対魔忍RPG (@taimanin_rpg) March 31, 2021
Added at 8:00 p.m.
- Caravan Stories – Turtle News #1250: The latest information on the ocean RPG Turtle Stories, including the latest updates and events.
- Disgaea RPG – Disgaea RPG has been updated with the minigame “Moechire! Makai Baseball 2021.”
- Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai – Announcing Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Deroline, who finally becomes a real hero.
— 「ドラゴンクエスト ダイの大冒険」アニメ公式 (@DQ_DAI_anime) March 31, 2021
- Granblue Fantasy – Special event “Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: Wiggin’ War in the Sky World” now available.
- PQube – Publisher PQube and developer Cool Scooter Software have released International Space Banana for PC via Steam for $4.99.
- Shironeko Project – Snoopy joins Shironeko Project.
— 【公式】白猫プロジェクト (@wcat_project) March 31, 2021
- Sprite – Beyond the Cat, Into the Firmament EXTRA now in development.
— sprite 公式 (@sprite_fairys) March 31, 2021
- Valorant – Introducing Valorant: Agents of Romance, a dating simulator set in the world of the tactical first-person shooter Valorant coming to PC in 2021. Players will train to become agents of Valorant, and in doing so, develop connections with the agents that appear in the main game, collect items, go on dates… and perhaps even save the world.
Added at Press Time
- Blue Archive – 3D action adventure game Blue Archive coming in 20XX.
— ブルーアーカイブ公式 (@Blue_ArchiveJP) March 31, 2021
- B-Project – Announcing Wizard of Fairytale. Visit the official website here.
— B-PROJECT official (@Bpro_info) March 31, 2021
- Bubble Bobble – A huge number of Bubbluns, the protagonist of the Bubble Bobble series, have invaded Japan and are running wild in Tokyo, according to an emergency announcement.
— バブルン公式アカウント@『バブルボブル 4 フレンズ』好評発売中!! (@bubblun_jp) March 31, 2021
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle – The new zombie battle game mode “Dokkan of the Dead” appears!
- Dragon Quest Walk – Square Enix will release the “Dragonlord Headpiece” fashion accessory for 4,010,000 G. Visit the official website here.
- Fate/Grand Order – Fate/Freedom Order: Boku to Anata no Unite Sensou, an RPG where you fight by pairing servants from Fate/Grand Order, is now available for iOS via the App Store and Android via Google Play. Visit the official website here. Distribution will end on April 1 at 23:59 JST.
- Grimms Notes – Mysterious video posted with #Project_grimms hashtag.
— グリムノーツ公式 (@grimms_notes) March 31, 2021
- The Idolmaster Million Live! Theater Days – The Idolmaster Million Live! Theater Days updated with a fighting game.
— FUBUKI (@fbk86) March 31, 2021
- The Idolmaster: Shiny Colors – A code entry screen appears. There are 81 patterns of codes that can be entered, and you can enter as many times as you like.
『World x Code』
— アイドルマスター シャイニーカラーズ公式 (@imassc_official) March 31, 2021
- Key – Announcing Key’s first crossover story, Kaginado. Visit the official website here.
あゆが走り！ 観鈴が駆け！ 渚が歌う！
— Key開発室 (@key_official) March 31, 2021
- Little Witch Nobeta – Little Witch Nobeta TV anime set to air in August.
Love Live! School Idol Festival – Something is happening in School Idol Festival… a special collaboration will be held for a limited time.
— 【公式】ラブライブ！スクフェス事務局 (@lovelive_SIF) March 31, 2021
- Nexon – Announcing “Project NxN4,” Nexon’s virtual idol debut. Visit the official website here.
- Nippon Ichi Software – The official website for detective simulation adventure game Tantei Bokumetsu has been hacked by serial killer and entertainer Yatsuzakikou, and a member of the Detective Alliance has been kidnapped and targeted for murder. Users can help solve the mysterious “APR_IL_FOOL_GAME” riddle left by Yatsuzakikou on the website by linking it with their social media services. Nippon Ichi Software’s public relations detective is asking for your help!
- Mages. – Introducing the Telephone Cooker. Visit the official website here.
- Memories Off – Announcing Shin Memo.
— メモオフ公式 (@gdiv1_5pb) March 31, 2021
- Muv-Luv – Muv-Luv Beta goes Hollywood with MIB eta, starring Mafia Kajita.
- Otomate – The third entry in Otomate’s horror game challenge series. This time, we’re playing “Dead of Malice: Sangeki no Ika Fry.”
- Part-Time UFO – Announcing Part-Time UFO Men.
— はたらくUFO【公式】 (@HatarakuUFO) March 31, 2021
- Regista – Shadow Corridor is coming to smartphones.
- Rejet – Following the big splash made by the original Rejestic Brothers on April 1, 2016, the series returns with Rejestic Brothers 2. Visit the official website here.
- Street Fighter V – Play the browser game Neco Drop 2.
- Sword Art Online: Integral Factor – The “Jumping Kibaou” event begins.
— 【公式】ソードアート・オンライン インテグラル・ファクター（SAOIF） (@saoif_gameinfo) March 31, 2021
- Timelie – Announcing Timearai, due out on April 1, 20XX.
- Touhou Station – Pre-register for the full-scale MMORPG Touhou Station Online.
— 東方ステーション次回4月上旬くらい / 東方我楽多叢誌 (@touhou_station) March 31, 2021