Truant Pixel has announced RUNNER, an arcade-inspired virtual reality driving action game for the PlayStation 5 next-generation virtual reality system and PC virtual reality devices (Steam). A release date was not announced.
“RUNNER features a deliberate classic aesthetic, driven by themes such as lo-fi and cassette futurism and inspired by anime such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, and more,” Truant Pixel said in a tweet. “And we’ve only shown a fraction of the encounters and environments that you will be traversing.”
Here is an overview of the game, via Truant Pixel:
When there’s nowhere left to hide, the only way out is through…
RUNNER is an arcade-inspired virtual reality driving action game. Players take on the role of Mina, a rogue mod-courier at the center of a massive city-wide pursuit. Beginning in the heart of Presidium, the neon-drenched capitol of the mining colony moon N-351, Mina’s only means of escape is the “Thoroughfare,” a massive highspeed expressway that snakes through the entirety sprawling colony complex. Pursued by the forces of the Caldara corporation, Mina must race through 7 sectors while fighting off relentless waves of autonomous corporate combat drones.
Using only their wits, their cybernetics, and a unique array of special abilities, the player will become the runner in this fast-paced, kinetic virtual reality experience.
- RUNNER features visceral first-person driving gameplay that embraces the unique visual style of late 1980s prestige anime.
- Players take control of their motorcycle, weaving in-and-out of traffic at breakneck speeds while fending off waves of enemy attackers.
- The action punctuated by an original and dynamic music system set to an incredible throwback soundtrack composed by Fat Bard.
- RUNNER sees the player racing through the Presidium mining colony, pursued by an army of relentless drones.
- Players can customize the look of their bike with unique paint and lighting combinations before jumping into the fray.
- Multiple vehicles are unlockable, each with it’s on set of unique traits and handling.
- Autonomous motorcycles, UAVs, hunter-killer tanks, sniper quadrupeds, covert assassin vehicles and larger-than-life bosses lie in wait to put an end to Mina’s escape.
- RUNNER features 360-degree freeform gunplay, utilizing twin checkpoint automatic pistols integrated into the control yoke of her bike.
- Powerups collected along Mina’s route further enhance the weapons at the player’s disposal, with powerful options such as scattershot, lasers, and much, much more.
- The arsenal also includes heavy ordinance such as grenades, lock-on missiles, and an integrated vehicle cannon.
Watch the announcement trailer below.